Subway operator sues for DP benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 14 2003 12:00 AM ET
A 57-year-old subway car operator from Astoria, N.Y., is suing New York City's Metropolitan Transit Authority to extend health-care benefits to his same-sex partner of 20 years, New York's Newsday reports. James Reilly hopes his lawsuit will help bring a greater acceptance to gay men and lesbians in blue-collar jobs. "I'm a high school dropout," says Reilly, who steers the N and W trains, "but I do know the differences between right and wrong. I'm not going to stop till he's covered, and if I have to go to the United States Supreme Court, I will."
Reilly, who first started engineering subway cars in 1970, later worked as a public advocate for the New York city council, where his partner, 50-year-old George Brennan, was eligible for health benefits. When he returned to the MTA in 2001, he says, he thought Brennan would automatically be covered by his health insurance plan, but he wasn't. Although same-sex partners of city employees are entitled to domestic-partner benefits, the MTA argues that it isn't required to provide the benefits because it is an independent agency, separate from the city and state.
Regardless of what the court ends up saying on the issue, Reilly and Brennan may get the benefits as a result of a new contract currently before the 34,000 members of the Local 100 of the Transport Workers Union. Union votes for the new contract, which will extend health benefits to the domestic partners of union members, will be tallied January 21.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 27 min 9 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 26 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 26 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM