BYU cancels "cure" broadcast
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 16 2003 12:00 AM ET
Brigham Young University television stations have canceled their planned broadcasts of an Orem, Utah, therapist's presentation on "curing" gay men of their homosexuality. Station officials at the Mormon-run university decided that the presentation by psychotherapist Jeff Robinson might be an oversimplification of a complex issue. He delivered his presentation at the "Families Under Fire" conference at BYU's Provo, Utah, campus last fall, and it was recorded by BYU camera crews. This was to have been the first time BYU television stations aired the conference talks. Robinson's presentation was to have aired for the first time on Thursday.
Leaders of some Utah gay groups said Robinson's theories of changing sexual orientation send the wrong message to people who are attracted to the same sex. "I find that really offensive," said Michael Mitchell, executive director of Unity Utah. "I believe God made us how we are for a reason and God loves us exactly how we are."
In his talk, Robinson outlined steps he said would help a gay man become attracted to women. The process requires the help of counselors and others and isn't an easy one, he said. "It's like any serious addiction--it's very difficult to overcome," he said. "But if a person is really motivated and wants that, change is absolutely possible."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM