Helmsley's former employee lied on resume
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 1:00 AM ET
Charles Bell, a former employee of hotel magnate Leona Helmsley who is suing her on charges of antigay bias, admitted to a New York City court on Wednesday that he lied on his resume when he applied for a job at one of Helmsley's hotels, Newsday reports. Bell, 48, said his resume falsely reported that he had been a general manager of a hotel and that he had received a bachelor's degree from the University of California, Berkeley. He had actually worked as food and beverage manager at Miami Beach, Fla.'s Delano Hotel, where he claimed to have been general manager, and he had completed only two years of college. "It was a mistake, sir," said Bell, who admitted he "beefed up his resume" and "embellished it" in an attempt to make himself look better. "I should not have done it."
Bell, a former general manager of Helmsley's Park Lane Hotel in Manhattan, is suing Helmsley for $40 million, saying she verbally harassed him and fired him in 2001 upon learning that he is gay. Helmsley denies the allegation.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 8 min 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 17 min 50 sec ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 28 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 46 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 49 min ago