Trev Broudy doesn't know if attack was bias-motivated
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
Trev Broudy, who along with a friend was attacked with a baseball bat outside his West Hollywood, Calif., home last September, testified in a Beverly Hills court Wednesday that he doesn't remember the attack and doesn't know if it was motivated by his sexual orientation, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The attack on 34-year-old Broudy and his friend Edward Ulett, both of whom are gay, has attracted substantial press attention-- both because it occurred in West Hollywood, which is widely considered among the gay-friendliest areas in Los Angeles County, and because county district attorney Steve Cooley decided against filing hate-crimes charges against the suspects: Larry Walker, 29; Vincent Dotson, 18; and Torwin Sessions, 19. All three are charged with attempted robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, and conspiracy to commit robbery. The preliminary hearing in the case, scheduled to wrap up Thursday, is to determine if there is enough evidence in the case for the three men to face trial.
Broudy, who spent nearly six weeks in the hospital after the attack, testified that ever since September he has been unable to read, think clearly, or work. He also said he has lost 50% of his vision and has had to stop driving. During his 15-minute testimony, the Times reports, he spoke in broken sentences, often lost his train of thought, and had trouble remembering words.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 35 min 19 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 32 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 46 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 18 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 47 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 3:58 PM