Vatican asks politicians to oppose same-sex unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Vatican issued a new set of guidelines for Catholic politicians Thursday, reminding them to heed the church's "nonnegotiable" teachings on abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, and other issues when making public policy. The Vatican said it is publishing the document now because of medical and scientific advances and because of the "emergence of ambiguities or questionable positions in recent times." The guidelines, prepared by the Vatican's orthodoxy watchdog, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, don't offer any change to the church's long-held opposition to abortion, euthanasia, and gay marriage or its promotion of the rights of the unborn. Rather, they serve as a reminder of church teachings for Catholic politicians, so that when they vote for legislation or otherwise influence public policy, they do so in line with certain "nonnegotiable ethical principles."
In particular, the document said that laws safeguarding marriage between one man and one woman must be promoted and that "in no way can other forms of cohabitation be placed on the same level as marriage, nor can they receive legal recognition as such." The guidelines don't mention punishment--such as excommunication--for Catholic politicians who fail to toe the line. Rather, they frame the issue as one of "conscience" that politicians will have to deal with.The Vatican stressed that it isn't trying to dictate policy or interfere in matters of state but rather to "instruct and illuminate" Catholic political leaders. The timing of the document's release comes a week before the 30th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision lifting antiabortion laws nationwide.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 4 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 9 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 16 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 20 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 4 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM