Man charged with mid-'90s gay slayings
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
Authorities from Ocean County, N.J., charged a 51-year-old ex-nurse Wednesday with the brutal decade-old murders of two gay men, Newsday reports. Richard W. Rogers Jr. was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of murder and two counts of hindering apprehension.
Police charged Rogers for the 1992 murder of Thomas Mulcahy, 57, of Sudbury, Mass., and the 1993 murder of Anthony E. Marrero, 44, of New York City. Both men's bodies were dismembered, placed in garbage bags, and found along the sides of roads.
When the garbage bags containing the men's remains were discovered in 1992 and 1993, police located the suspect's fingerprints but were unable to match them to any known criminals through the Automated Fingerprint Identification System. Authorities re-sent the fingerprint samples in April 2001 and matched them with those of Rogers, who had been arrested in Maine. Ocean County prosecutor Thomas F. Kelaher said that at the time of the murders, Maine was not a part of the fingerprint system.
Before being arrested, Rogers was living in Staten Island, N.Y., and had been a registered nurse at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City for more than 20 years. He is being held on $1 million bail.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 9 min 30 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 41 min 44 sec ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 2 hours 25 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 47 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 55 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 3:39 PM
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 3:31 PM