Editor accuses Variety of antigay termination
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 28 2003 1:00 AM ET
The longtime editor of the entertainment trade publication Variety was sued Friday by a former editor who alleges that he was fired after complaining about being harassed because he is gay, reports the Los Angeles Times.
Ramin Zahed sued Variety, parent company Reed Elsevier, and editor Peter Bart in Los Angeles County superior court for wrongful discharge. Also named was another Variety editor, Thomas Tapp. According to the lawsuit, Zahed was Variety's special reports editor until he was fired September 6. Zahed said he was told at the time that his performance was not an issue, the lawsuit says, but that his department was being restructured.
Zahed alleges that the firing came after he complained to the paper's human resources department about having to endure slurs about his sexual orientation. The lawsuit alleges that Bart set the workplace tone by frequently making slurs against gays and women.
"Employee decisions at Variety are made because of economics, merit, job performance, and business needs, and to suggest otherwise is simply unfair and untrue," read a statement issued by Cahners, the Reed Elsevier unit that owns Variety. "The individual in question lost his position as a result of a restructuring. This was a decision based solely on the needs and direction of our business."
Bart was suspended in 2001 for 21 days without pay after Los Angeles magazine published a profile alleging that he frequently used racist, sexist, and antigay language and engaged in various forms of unethical journalistic behavior. Bart was later reinstated. He issued a statement saying he was "very sorry" and was ordered to undergo diversity training.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 41 min 14 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 51 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM