Martina triumphs at Australian Open
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 28 2003 1:00 AM ET
Openly gay tennis great Martina Navratilova reached another milestone on Sunday with a straight-sets victory in the Australian Open mixed doubles final, reports the Los Angeles Times. Navratilova teamed with India's Leander Paes to defeat Australia's Todd Woodbridge and Greece's Eleni Daniilidou, 6-4, 7-5. It was the 57th Grand Slam title for Navratilova, who at the age of 46 years and three months surpassed Norman Brookes as the oldest winner of a Grand Slam title.
"I think people put too much on age," Navratilova said. "I certainly didn't think I would still be playing at this age. When I was growing up, I wanted to be the youngest to win something, not the oldest.... It's pretty bloody good, isn't it?"
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument