Martina triumphs at Australian Open
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 28 2003 1:00 AM ET
Openly gay tennis great Martina Navratilova reached another milestone on Sunday with a straight-sets victory in the Australian Open mixed doubles final, reports the Los Angeles Times. Navratilova teamed with India's Leander Paes to defeat Australia's Todd Woodbridge and Greece's Eleni Daniilidou, 6-4, 7-5. It was the 57th Grand Slam title for Navratilova, who at the age of 46 years and three months surpassed Norman Brookes as the oldest winner of a Grand Slam title.
"I think people put too much on age," Navratilova said. "I certainly didn't think I would still be playing at this age. When I was growing up, I wanted to be the youngest to win something, not the oldest.... It's pretty bloody good, isn't it?"
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Vancouver's Groundbreaking Move for Trans Students
- Showtime to Air Kidnapped for Christ, Exposé of Antigay Reform School
- How Major Crimes' Actor and Gay Showrunner Created One of Best Gay Characters on TV
- Op-ed: Why LGBT People Around the World Need Israel