Helmsley takes the stand
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 29 2003 1:00 AM ET
Leona Helmsley, testifying in her own defense against a $40 million lawsuit, said Tuesday that she fired hotel manager Charles Bell because he violated company policies and not because he is gay.
The 82-year-old hotel queen said she has never fired anyone because they were gay and said she currently has gay employees, including the current manager of the Park Lane Hotel, where Bell had worked. "I fired Mr. Bell for other reasons," she said.
Helmsley testified that Bell, 48, of Manhattan, was doing things that were not permissible at her hotel. She said she had learned he was using drugs, adding that she had lost her own son to drugs. She also countered the plaintiff's testimony that she had referred to Bell by an antigay term. She said witnesses who testified on his behalf were lying.
Helmsley appeared relaxed but slightly angry on the witness stand. Although her voice was subdued when she was examined by her lawyer, Steven G. Eckhaus, she was much more forceful and animated when answering questions on cross-examination by Bell's lawyer, Geri Krauss.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 47 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 52 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM