Vatican demands expulsion for trans clerics
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 01 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Vatican has demanded that members of religious orders who change their sex be expelled and that transgendered people not be allowed to enter religious orders in the first place, according to a document published Friday by the Catholic news agency Adista.
The confidential document, which the Vatican did not want made public, makes clear that the church has been forced to face head-on the issue of transgendered people among its members. The document was signed by Cardinal Eduardo Martinez Somalo, the Vatican's head of religious orders, and urges its recipients not to divulge the contents, owing to "the delicacy and complexity of the situation."
The document says that any member of a religious order who "undergoes a sex change must be expelled from the religious house for the good of all the souls."
It also says that priests do not have the right to change baptism registers to reflect a believer's new sex, even if the change is recognized by civil authorities. The document also quotes the Vatican's head of doctrine, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, as firmly rejecting the admission of transsexuals into religious orders.
"When there is a sensible doubt over the presence of transsexualism due to obvious external attitudes and evidence given by those charged with selecting candidates, the Superior can demand a careful medical and psychological examination," Ratzinger said.
"In the case where there is a grave and irreversible pathology of transsexualism, the candidate cannot be admitted in a viable way to the institute or religious society."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 6 min 11 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 11 min 21 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 29 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 8 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 14 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 38 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 47 min ago