Oscar Wilde has new owner
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 05 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Oscar Wilde Bookshop in New York City, the nation's oldest gay and lesbian bookstore, has been sold and will remain in business under new management, its new owner said. Deacon Maccubbin, owner of Lambda Rising Bookstores, based in Washington, D.C., said he bought the store two weeks ago for an undisclosed amount, The New York Times reported. The store's previous owner, Larry Lingle, said last month that he would close the shop by the end of January because it was losing money in its struggle to compete against large book chains. "We think this store is way too important to let it close," Maccubbin said. "It is more than a store; it is a part of our history."
The Oscar Wilde Bookshop opened in Greenwich Village in 1967 with several dozen books on its shelves. It expanded as the gay rights movement in New York gained momentum and soon became the inspiration for other bookstores devoted to a gay and lesbian clientele. The bookshop is one of only two gay bookstores remaining in New York. The Lambda Rising chain operates bookstores in Washington, D.C.; Baltimore; Rehoboth Beach, Del.; and Norfolk, Va.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 21 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM