Nashville antibias bills to be reworked
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 06 2003 12:00 AM ET
Two bills sponsored by Nashville city council members that would have extended legal protections to cover workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation were withdrawn Tuesday night, the Nashville Tennessean reports. The bills were considered possibly unconstitutional by city attorneys. Council members Chris Ferrell and Eileen Beehan, the bills' main sponsors, said they will submit a single better-written bill within the next few weeks. "The step tonight is a positive step," said Abby Rubenfeld, an attorney, mother, lesbian, and board member of the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee. "We are moving forward."
The proposals had faced heated opposition from city religious leaders, including officials for the Southern Baptist Convention, which is headquartered in Nashville. On Tuesday night more than 80 opponents, each wearing a sticker that read "God knows best. Vote no," were in attendance at the meeting. "We want to make sure we keep the pressure on, let them know that anytime they bring this up, we'll be down here to oppose it," said Denny Patterson, pastor of the Nolensville Road Baptist Church.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 11 min 35 sec ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 14 min 54 sec ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 1 hour 35 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Transgender Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site December 10 2013 9:08 PM