Minnesota bill introduced to rescind gay protections
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2003 12:00 AM ET
Politicians in Minnesota introduced a bill into the state house of representatives Thursday that would eliminate pro-gay antidiscrimination protections from a decade-old human rights law. Supporters of the bill say the current bill persecutes Christian conservatives who consider homosexuality a violation of God's law.
"I know a lady who was fired from her job because she disagreed with homosexual activities in her school," said Republican representative Arlon Lindner, the bill's chief author. "We're hearing complaints about cross-dressing in the schools," he said, adding that the law is "being used as a pretext to promote homosexuality in the schools, and there are lawsuits being filed against religious organizations whose beliefs conflict with hiring homosexuals."
The one gay member of Minnesota's senate, Scott Dibble, had harsh criticism for the bill. "Extremists in the Republican Party are overplaying their hand," he said. "Once people find out that in the proud tradition of Trent Lott they are trying to divide Minnesotans, this absolutely will backfire."
Dibble said he finds it particularly offensive that the bill would remove sexual orientation as a classification in the law's definition of Holocaust survivors and victims.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Guillermo Diaz: Pinup Boy
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 2 hours 58 min ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM