BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2003 1:00 AM ET
Survey: One in six in China haven't heard of AIDS
A new survey unveils some startling statistics about the world's most populous nation--most Chinese citizens have no idea what causes AIDS or how to prevent it, and more than 17% of China's residents have never even heard of the disease, Reuters Health reports. China's government estimates that 850,000 of China's nearly 1.3 billion people are currently HIV-positive. Some experts, however, believe the number could be much higher, with infections numbering in the millions.
Researcher Deborah Holtzman of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention worked on the new study with researchers from the CDC, Emory University, and China's State Family Planning Commission. Of survey respondents who had heard of HIV, 73% did not know it was a virus, and 89% did not know how it can be detected. More than 20% could not name any routes by which it can be transmitted, and 77% did not know that condoms could prevent infection. One in six of the survey respondents had never heard of HIV/AIDS.
"I was surprised and discouraged, because there was such a consistent lack of knowledge on all our measures," Holtzman said. "If people don't know how to prevent it, that just makes the problem so much worse." The full study can be seen online at www.aidscience.org.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 57 min 15 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM