BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2003 12:00 AM ET
Survey: One in six in China haven't heard of AIDS
A new survey unveils some startling statistics about the world's most populous nation--most Chinese citizens have no idea what causes AIDS or how to prevent it, and more than 17% of China's residents have never even heard of the disease, Reuters Health reports. China's government estimates that 850,000 of China's nearly 1.3 billion people are currently HIV-positive. Some experts, however, believe the number could be much higher, with infections numbering in the millions.
Researcher Deborah Holtzman of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention worked on the new study with researchers from the CDC, Emory University, and China's State Family Planning Commission. Of survey respondents who had heard of HIV, 73% did not know it was a virus, and 89% did not know how it can be detected. More than 20% could not name any routes by which it can be transmitted, and 77% did not know that condoms could prevent infection. One in six of the survey respondents had never heard of HIV/AIDS.
"I was surprised and discouraged, because there was such a consistent lack of knowledge on all our measures," Holtzman said. "If people don't know how to prevent it, that just makes the problem so much worse." The full study can be seen online at www.aidscience.org.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance
- Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 28 min 11 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 1 hour 50 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2 hours 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM