Vermont senator hopes to ban gay marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2003 12:00 AM ET
A Vermont state senator is hoping to amend the state constitution to outlaw same-sex marriage, but senate leaders say they doubt the proposal will go anywhere. Sen. Julius Canns (R-Caledonia) said he will formally introduce the proposal soon but that he is still soliciting cosponsors from among his colleagues. He already has a handful of backers. The constitutional language would be simple: "That marriage between two people of the same sex is invalid in Vermont and shall not be recognized for any purpose." Canns's proposal would not affect the state's landmark civil unions law, which permits gay and lesbian couples to join together legally and qualify for the hundreds of benefits conferred by the state through marriage. But it would prohibit the state from allowing the civil unions law to be amended into full marriage for same-sex couples. "I've been doing for this for the last three sessions," Canns said. "The people of Vermont never, ever had the opportunity to vote on the issue."
Constitutional amendments, if they win approval by two separately elected legislatures, must go to a statewide vote before they're enacted. The chairman of the senate judiciary committee said he does not see any need to amend the constitution, particularly because the legislature already defined marriage as a union between one man and one woman three times in state statutes. "I don't think there's a major push out there by an interest group for gay marriage," said Sen. Richard Sears (D-Bennington).
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 38 min 56 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM