Gays cut from N.C. sex-education plan
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 12 2003 1:00 AM ET
School administrators in Wake County, N.C., have removed most references to gay men and lesbians that were added in a sex-education update, but they say they are not backing down from promoting tolerance. Parents of students in grades seven through nine soon will get letters inviting them to review the curriculum before deciding whether to let their children attend classes that begin in mid April. The Wake school board in November voted 5-4 to add more instruction about contraceptives, sexually transmitted diseases, the effects of teen pregnancy, and tolerance for gays and lesbians to the curriculum. The course emphasizes sexual abstinence until marriage. Since then, administrators say, they have strengthened the lessons and removed inaccuracies found by a medical review panel. They say they weren't trying to mollify critics who said Wake was promoting homosexuality.
"Nothing has changed with our stance in this plan," said Cindi Jolly, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction. "We made changes to improve the curriculum."
The board in November stopped short of the changes sought by advocates of a comprehensive sex-education curriculum that would provide more information about subjects including the proper use of condoms and the nature of homosexuality. Critics objected to new language approved by the board about tolerance of people with different sexual orientations, contending that it would promote immoral behavior.
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM