Kentucky ministers protest The Laramie Project
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2003 12:00 AM ET
A group of pastors in Danville, Ky., doesn't want Danville High School to host a performance of The Laramie Project because they say it promotes a gay lifestyle. The group, Fellowship of One, includes several pastors of black churches. Members of the group attended Monday night's meeting of the Danville school board to protest the play and said they would act as a sort of a moral watchdog in monitoring the curriculum and special programs, such as the play, in local schools.
The Laramie Project is about the 1998 murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student. The play, which would be performed by actors from nearby Centre College, is tentatively scheduled for either February 18 or February 19 at the high school. Fellowship of One claims that performance of the play would cross the line between informing about hate crimes and teaching about "the gay lifestyle." Board chairwoman Jean Crowley said the board will not block the performance, however. She said the board plans to hold an informational meeting for parents.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM