ConocoPhillips reverses antigay policy
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2003 12:00 AM ET
When Conoco and Phillips Petroleum merged last August, the newly formed oil company, the third-largest in the nation, rescinded Conoco's policy banning discrimination based on sexual orientation. That action didn't become public until February 6, however, when a ConocoPhillips employee tipped off the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group based in Washington, D.C. On Wednesday, six days after the action was made public, Houston-based ConocoPhillips reversed itself and restored the sexual orientation protection. "ConocoPhillips is and always has been deeply committed to fair and nondiscriminatory treatment for all employees," the company's management committee said in a statement. "The management committee has amended the company's EEO policy to include the term 'sexual orientation' to more accurately reflect this commitment."
ExxonMobil, the nation's largest U.S. oil company, rescinded Mobil's nondiscrimination policy and closed its domestic-partnership program in a merger in 1999. ChevronTexaco Corp., Amerada Hess, Shell Oil Co., BP, Marathon Oil Corp., Occidental Petroleum, Sunoco Inc., and Valero Energy Corp. all ban bias based on sexual orientation.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 49 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 49 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM