L.A. to contractors: Provide DP benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2003 12:00 AM ET
Los Angeles city council members approved a measure Wednesday that requires contractors doing business with the city to provide benefits to their employees' domestic partners under the city's Equal Benefits Ordinance. "The city does not discriminate in employment benefits on the basis of sexual orientation or marital status," said city attorney Rocky Delgadillo after the city council voted unanimously in favor of benefits for domestic partners. "It is only fair that city contractors provide the same benefits to domestic partners as they do their employees' spouses."
Delgadillo met with gays and lesbians in January 2002 and pledged to expand the city ordinance. He got help from Councilman Eric Garcetti. "The original Equal Benefits Ordinance was a pioneering advancement for civil rights," Garcetti said. "I'm happy that we can expand our application of it to include more people who do business with the city." The ordinance, which goes into effect April 1, covers contracts of more than $5,000.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson'
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 25 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 32 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 1 hour 46 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 1 hour 51 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 1 hour 56 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM