Gay camp vandalized
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2003 12:00 AM ET
Vandals tore down a gate at the entrance to a camp for gay men and lesbians north of Pollock, La., and made off with a large wooden sign, acts the camp's operator says were motivated by hate. "As far as I'm concerned, it was a hate crime," said Skip Ward, who operates the rustic Manitou Woods camp. Ward said that in the approximately 10 years he's run the camp, he's never had problems with vandalism before. But the camp's existence only recently came to light, prompting some area residents and ministers to condemn it.
Ward, 82, and his partner of 13 years, Joseph Gary, 40, discovered the damage when they visited the camp Thursday afternoon, he said. The front gate had been torn down, two large telephone poles that supported the front sign were snapped in half, and the 20- by 3-foot hand-painted "Manitou Woods" sign was missing. The pair said they also found fresh tire tracks and beer cans. "You can see where someone tied a chain around the pole and tore it down," Gary said.
The 12-acre retreat along Fish Creek has been the subject of controversy for the past two weeks after local ministers and some residents came out against the camp. "If those people just came out here and saw what really goes on here, they wouldn't hate us so much," Gary said.
After assessing the damage to the front gate, Ward and Gary inspected the three habitable cottages on the premises as well as the camp dining hall and found nothing amiss. Ward said the damage to the camp property comes to well over $500.
From March to November, Gary said, he spends every day on the camp property acting as caretaker. He said he had not planned to return until mid March, when the camp reopens for the year. "I'm guessing I'm going to have to come out here and stay out here," Gary said. "I feel threatened now." The couple said the gate and sign were both intact when they last visited the camp the previous weekend.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 26 min 23 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM