Conservative Judaism to reconsider stance on gays
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
Conservative Jewish leaders announced February 22 that they will seek to change their religion's official stance on homosexuality by petitioning the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards and asking the board to reconsider its policies, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
The president of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, Judy Yudof, said that at the committee's meeting, scheduled for March 5, she will "ask the committee to revisit the policy on gays, to research to determine whether it is or is not halakic [legal according to Jewish law] behavior."
Conservative Judaism is seen as a theological middle ground between the more conservative Orthodox branch and the liberal Reform branch, which allows gays and lesbians to be ordained and to have commitment ceremonies in the temple. The last time Conservative Jewish leaders officially discussed homosexuality was in 1992, when they issued their latest policy, which bars gays and lesbians from rabbinical or cantorial schools but allows them to be members of Conservative congregations.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- IOC Head Warns Athletes Against Protesting in Sochi
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 34 min 57 sec ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 35 min 21 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM