U.K. official quits after cruising scandal
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
Ron Davies, a former cabinet member in the United Kingdom and a Welsh assembly member, was forced to quit his political career this weekend after local party officials demanded he step down following allegations that he engaged in sex in a gay cruising area, The [London] Guardian reports. Ron Davies's resignation follows the Sun newspaper's decision to publish photographs of him leaving a gay cruising area near Bath. At first Davies, who acknowledged he is bisexual after a similar scandal four years ago, said he hadn't been at the Bath cruising area for 15 years. Later he admitted that he had "stopped in the car park to go to the lavatory and went for a short walk in an adjacent area of public woodland." "I have handled this not very well," Davies said. "In retrospect I should have handled it another way. I don't feel devastated; I feel badly bruised. This has taken a huge toll on me physically, emotionally, and mentally." Asked about his plans for the future, the married Davies said, "What I will need to do over the next two or three months is take a little step back. I have to consider what I do. I will have to reflect. There will be things that come out of this. I can spend more time, as politicians say, with my young family."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 9 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 18 min 11 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 1 hour 46 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 2 hours 1 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 5 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM