New Mexico governor commits to hate-crimes bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 18 2003 1:00 AM ET
New Mexico governor Bill Richardson said Friday that he would sign hate-crimes and gay rights legislation if lawmakers give final approval to the proposals. "It's my sincere desire that New Mexico remain a beacon of hope, of diversity, of tolerance, and of justice for all people," Richardson said at a news conference. "It is in this spirit that I ask the legislature to send me, for signature, the hate-crimes bill and the nondiscrimination bill."
The house and senate have approved separate bills to broaden the state's Human Rights Act to cover sexual orientation--heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality--and gender identity. The legislation would make it illegal to discriminate in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations, and union membership. A senate-passed hate-crimes bill is pending in the house. It provides extra prison time for offenders whose crimes are found by a court to have been motivated by hate.
Richardson previously hadn't committed to signing the measures, saying he would need to review the details of the bills when they cleared the legislature.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 4 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 20 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 54 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 57 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM