Controversial New Hampshire nominee withdraws
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 20 2003 1:00 AM ET
New Hampshire governor Craig Benson's nominee to the state Human Rights Commission withdrew his name from consideration on Wednesday. Three of the five members of the Executive Council had said they opposed confirming Gary Daniels to the post because of antigay comments Daniels made five years ago when he was a state representative. At Wednesday's council meeting, Benson said Daniels sent him a letter withdrawing his name. Benson did not provide details but did nominate two others for the post. The new nominees are Rogers Johnson of Stratham and Gayle Troye of Dunbarton.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word