Hearing held on proposed marriage ban in Texas
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 20 2003 12:00 AM ET
Nearly 500 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons, attended a committee meeting of the Texas house of representatives Monday to discuss legislation that proposes to ban recognition of same-sex marriage in the state, the Houston Chronicle reports. The Mormon Church members were there to show their support for the bill, which would recognize only heterosexual unions as legal marriages. State representative Warren Chisum, the author of the bill, has 57 coauthors. No action has yet been taken on the proposal.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View