Supreme Court turns down MGM appeal
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 26 2003 12:00 AM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday turned down an appeal involving a gay butler allowed to sue after he was allegedly harassed on the job at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. Medina Rene worked with an all-male staff on the hotel's VIP floor, where he claimed that coworkers grabbed his crotch, mocked the way he walked, whistled and blew kisses at him, and called him "Sweetheart." They told crude jokes, gave him sexually explicit gag gifts, and forced him to look at graphic photographs, Rene added.
Rene claimed he was targeted because he is openly gay. The MGM Grand Hotel contended that it fired Rene because he was an aspiring lyricist who continually pestered influential Hollywood guests with his songwriting ideas.
Although two lower courts had rejected Rene's complaint--saying the same-sex sexual harassment he alleged is not a violation of federal Title VII guidelines--an 11-judge panel ruled last year that Rene could sue under Title VII, which prohibits discrimination motivated by race, national origin, religion, and sex.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 21 min 17 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2:44 PM
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2:41 PM