Gay rights bills pass in New Mexico
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 10 2003 12:00 AM ET
New Mexico governor Bill Richardson on Tuesday signed into law bills that add extra penalties for hate crimes and outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. Richardson had promised to sign the measures, which gay rights advocates have sought for years. The governor scheduled a ceremonial signing of the bills for Wednesday.
The hate-crimes law, which becomes effective July 1, allows a judge to give extra prison time to an offender whose crimes are determined by a court to have been motivated by hate. A first-time offender could get a year--and a repeat offender, two years--added to his or her prison sentence. Hate crimes are those committed because of the victim's actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The antidiscrimination law, also effective July 1, broadens the state's Human Rights Act to cover sexual orientation--heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality--and gender identity. It makes it illegal to discriminate against gay, bisexual, or transgendered people in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations, and union membership. Businesses with fewer than 15 workers are exempt from the employment discrimination provision. Supporters of the new law say it is necessary because it is currently legal to refuse to hire someone--and legal to fire someone--because he or she is gay, bisexual, or transgendered or perceived to be so.
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 49 min 18 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 28 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM