Ruling: California schools must curb antigay harassment
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 09 2003 11:00 PM ET
A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that California public school administrators who fail to stop antigay harassment of students may be violating the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection under the law. The U.S. circuit court of appeals found, in a 3-0 ruling, that simply having an antidiscrimination policy in place is not enough if school officials fail to enforce that policy.
The case involves a school in the Northern California town of Morgan Hill, where six students alleged that they had been harassed from 1991 to 1998. The students claim that Morgan Hill Unified School District officials failed to protect them, even after the students complained about the harassment. One male student says he was assaulted and had to be hospitalized for severely bruised ribs but that school officials punished only one of six students suspected in the attack.
Attorneys for the school district argue that a school's having an antidiscrimination policy in place should protect that school against such lawsuits.
The ruling affects school districts in California and eight other Western states.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM