Mile-plus pride flag to unfurl in Key West
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 14 2003 11:00 PM ET
The artist credited with creating the rainbow flag as a gay and lesbian symbol is sewing a 1.25-mile-long, 16-foot-wide version of the banner to be unfurled in Key West, Fla., on June 15, the final day of the city's PrideFest event.
Gilbert Baker's mammoth creation is to be displayed along the entire length of Duval Street, the island's main thoroughfare, which stretches from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico.
Baker created the original rainbow flag in San Francisco 25 years ago as a symbol of gay pride in response to antigay activities.
As well as honoring the banner's birth, the 2003 flag will re-create Baker's original eight-color design. The 1978 flag lost two original colors--pink because it could not be commercially reproduced at that
time and turquoise for logistical reasons, Baker said.
The two colors will be represented in his Key West flag, along with the traditional red, orange, yellow, green, indigo, and violet.
"Some of my friends call me the Betsy Ross of the gay community," Baker said Friday evening, after he and about 60 Key West residents stretched out a 100-foot test section.
The flag's debut will also kick off rainbow flag 25th-anniversary events around the United States. Sections of the banner are to travel to 100 cities, including New York, Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Washington, D.C.
Baker, a San Francisco resident, estimates the flag will require approximately 17,600 linear yards of fabric and weigh more than three tons. More than 25 miles of seams must be stitched before the project
is completed, he said.
Because of the weight of the fabric, Baker and two assistants work together to form each seam. About 3,000 people will be needed to deploy the flag, he said.
"To figure out how to pack it and how to deal with the volume of fabric, I studied the way fire hoses are folded and loaded into trucks," he said. "It has to be folded very carefully so it will never twist."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM