Antimarriage bill gains ground in Texas
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
Texas would be barred from recognizing civil unions or marriages between gay couples under legislation given preliminary approval Monday. "The bottom-line purpose of the bill is to try to defend and shore up the institution of marriage, which is the fundamental basis on which this society is built, and it's been under significant attack over the past couple of decades in particular," said state senator Jeff Wentworth, who sponsored the bill.
Sen. John Whitmire criticized the bill, saying he doesn't believe it is necessary because the state does not allow marriages between members of the same sex. "Some people would say this is just mean-spirited," Whitmire said, adding that he believes the legislation is being used to make a political statement.
Randall Ellis, executive director of the Lesbian Gay Rights Lobby of Texas, said the bill's tentative approval serves as a reminder that lesbians and gays are treated as second-class citizens. "This does nothing to improve the lives of Texans," Ellis said. "It is simply a slap in the face to gays and lesbians."
The bill follows a Beaumont state district judge's recent dismissal of a divorce request filed by two men who obtained a civil union in Vermont last year and were attempting to have it dissolved in Texas. State district judge Tom Mulvaney granted the divorce decree last month, but Texas attorney general Greg Abbott intervened and said the court could not grant a divorce where no marriage existed. Mulvaney then set his order aside.
The bill must get final approval before it is sent to the house.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- Person of the Year: The Finalists
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM