Paulk leaves Focus on the Family
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 16 2003 12:00 AM ET
John Paulk, an "ex-gay" who led a campaign by Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family to try to convince gay people to become straight, is leaving the group. Paulk said he will leave his post as manager of the group's Homosexuality and Gender Department on May 6 to move to the Pacific Northwest to be closer to his extended family. "My time at Focus on the Family has been the most rewarding professional and ministry experience of my life. I will always have a heart for men and women struggling with homosexuality, but after working 16 years on this contentious issue, it's time for me to pursue other endeavors," Paulk said in a statement released Monday.
"Anyone who has heard John's story knows the miracles the Lord has accomplished in his life," said the group's founder, James Dobson. "While we're sad to see him go, we know God has great plans for him, Anne, and the boys in the coming days."
Some supporters of Focus on the Family called for Paulk to be fired in the fall of 2000 after he was spotted visiting a gay bar. At the time, Dobson said Paulk's actions "hurt the cause of Christ," but Dobson stood by him.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 14 min 19 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 34 min 49 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM