Transgender rights bill introduced in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
Four months after New York became the 13th state in the nation to outlaw discrimination against gay men and lesbians, transgender rights advocates continue to seek the same protections. A law prohibiting antigay bias in employment, housing, education, and public services took effect in January, but many transgendered people feel betrayed that they are not included under the new statute.
On Monday dozens of transgender activists, holding signs like "Gender rights now," joined lawmakers to introduce an antidiscrimination bill. "This is about basic human rights," said state senator Thomas Duane, the senate sponsor of the bill and the chamber's only openly gay member.
Currently, three states and 53 cities and counties in the United States--including New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, and Suffolk County--have passed laws protecting transgender rights.
Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, a Manhattan Democrat and cosponsor of the transgender rights bill in the assembly, said many people mistakenly assume that the gay rights measure applies to transgendered people as well. Gottfried said a law safeguarding transgender rights is "long overdue."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM