Two supsects in Salinas murder confess
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 18 2003 11:00 PM ET
Two of the three suspects in the slaying of bisexual Robert Maricle have confessed to their involvement in the crime to police, according to court documents. Jeanne Soja, 29, and Dominique England, 19, told Salinas, Calif., police last week that they participated in the December torture and murder of Maricle, 30, according to a police declaration, filed to justify the arrests last week. The third suspect, Daymon Schrock, 20, has not told police whether he was involved. But Soja's lawyer said his client has told police in a series of interviews that she was present during the assault against Maricle but did not participate.
A sketchy police account released Friday revealed that the trio kidnapped, tortured, and killed a man now identified as Maricle. Maricle was last seen on December 14 as he entered Soja's apartment. Salinas police arrested the three last week on charges of murder, kidnapping, and torture in Maricle's death, although prosecutors Monday charged the trio with murder only. Police believe Maricle was killed in part because of his sexual orientation, but the three have not been charged with a hate crime.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 4 min 11 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 44 min 45 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 1 hour 41 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 1 hour 56 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 27 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Two and a Half Men's Respectful Job With Trans Character 2 hours 56 min ago