Texas foster parent proposal criticized
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 24 2003 12:00 AM ET
Calling it cruel and crazy, gay rights advocates and social workers on Tuesday denounced proposed legislation in Texas that would ban the placement of a foster child in a home with someone who is unmarried. There aren't enough foster homes as it is, say opponents, who contend the bill is an attempt to prevent gays and lesbians from providing foster care. "Foster parents should be assessed on their ability to provide love, support, stability, and guidance, not on arbitrary restrictions," said Randall Ellis, executive director of the Lesbian/Gay Rights Lobby of Texas.
Rep. Robert Talton (R-Pasadena), sponsor of the bill, refused to comment to news reporters. He shoved away the hand and microphone of a television journalist in a Texas capitol hallway.
The bill was before the house state affairs committee for a hearing Tuesday.
"I hope that this crazy bill will not go any farther," said Suzanne Bryant, an adoption attorney who said children languish in abusive or neglectful homes because there aren't enough foster families.
With her two adopted sons beside her, Eva Thibaudeau-Graczyk of Houston said that if Talton's bill becomes law, she and her female partner couldn't be foster parents because they can't be legally married. The couple are raising their children, Saleem, 7, and Isaiah, 8, who lived with the women as foster children for five years before being adopted. "We just kept fostering because they didn't have anywhere to go," said Thibaudeau-Graczyk. "Year after year, they kept sticking around, we kept sticking around.... The fact is that I am blessed to have them in my life."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 25 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 41 min 42 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 58 min 17 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 16 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 18 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 41 min ago