Mafia killed boss for being gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
An informer, testifying at the trial of three alleged mob bosses in New York, described the secret gay life of mob boss John D'Amato, a colleague of the late John Gotti. Prosecutors on Thursday played a 1991 videotape of Gotti kissing D'Amato while Anthony Capo testified that D'Amato was killed at the hands of his Mafia peers because he was gay. According to the New York Post, Gotti was unaware of his friend's sexual orientation when he greeted D'Amato, then acting boss of New Jersey's DeCavalcante crime family, with a peck on the cheek.
Capo explained why the clan, which considers itself the model for TV's The Sopranos, feared the revelation. Having a gay boss was "devastating to our brigada," said Capo, using an Italian word for a mob family. "Nobody's going to respect us if we have a gay homosexual boss sitting down discussing business with other families."
Capo said he first learned his boss was gay from D'Amato's two girlfriends, who told him that though he was married, D'Amato went to sex clubs for couples swaps and sometimes had sex with men. D'Amato fled to Florida, and Capo told his bosses in the DeCavalcante crime family about D'Amato's secret life. They decided he had to be killed for breaking mob rules, Capo said. "That is a rule," Capo said. "When I got straightened out, they didn't tell me, 'Don't be a homosexual,' but that was a rule."
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM