Mafia killed boss for being gay
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
An informer, testifying at the trial of three alleged mob bosses in New York, described the secret gay life of mob boss John D'Amato, a colleague of the late John Gotti. Prosecutors on Thursday played a 1991 videotape of Gotti kissing D'Amato while Anthony Capo testified that D'Amato was killed at the hands of his Mafia peers because he was gay. According to the New York Post, Gotti was unaware of his friend's sexual orientation when he greeted D'Amato, then acting boss of New Jersey's DeCavalcante crime family, with a peck on the cheek.
Capo explained why the clan, which considers itself the model for TV's The Sopranos, feared the revelation. Having a gay boss was "devastating to our brigada," said Capo, using an Italian word for a mob family. "Nobody's going to respect us if we have a gay homosexual boss sitting down discussing business with other families."
Capo said he first learned his boss was gay from D'Amato's two girlfriends, who told him that though he was married, D'Amato went to sex clubs for couples swaps and sometimes had sex with men. D'Amato fled to Florida, and Capo told his bosses in the DeCavalcante crime family about D'Amato's secret life. They decided he had to be killed for breaking mob rules, Capo said. "That is a rule," Capo said. "When I got straightened out, they didn't tell me, 'Don't be a homosexual,' but that was a rule."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 30 min 36 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 56 min 12 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 40 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM