Dean, Kerry spar over gay rights
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2003 11:00 PM ET
Former Vermont governor Howard Dean and U.S. senator John Kerry of Massachusetts sparred over the topic of gay rights during a debate among contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination in Columbia, S.C., on Saturday. Both Dean and Kerry are considered favorites for the first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary, and both are strong supporters of gay and lesbian rights. But during the debate Kerry took issue with an article in the San Francisco Chronicle in which Dean had questioned how pro-gay Kerry really is.
"What Governor Dean said in San Francisco, not to my face, was that I didn't have the courage to stand up for gays in America," Kerry said. "Now, I led the fight--in 1985, I was the original author of the 1985 civil rights act. I testified before the Armed Services Committee to permit gays to serve in the military as they have with me, and in every war in this country. I have been a sponsor of the hate-crimes legislation, a sponsor of the--[inaudible]--employment discrimination legislation, and I am for civil unions. My position in fact is stronger than Governor Dean's."
Dean, who signed into law the first-ever civil unions bill in the nation when he was governor, said he had been misrepresented in the Chronicle story and that the paper ran a correction the following day. "I did not question Senator Kerry's record on gay rights," he said. "He has a very good one."
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 1 hour 35 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 2 hours 34 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 2 hours 35 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM