BY Advocate.com Editors
May 16 2003 12:00 AM ET
Director Adam Shankman sues Jennifer Lopez
The New York Daily News's Rush & Molloy report that openly gay director Adam Shankman (Bringing Down the House) is filing suit against Jennifer Lopez, who starred in Shankman's debut feature, The Wedding Planner. The $5 million lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles superior court, alleges that Shankman told Lopez during the Wedding Planner shoot that she would be perfect in a screen adaptation of Carmen and that Lopez pitched the idea on her own and behind his back to Universal Pictures. A spokesperson for Lopez commented on the breach-of-contract suit to the Daily News, saying, "We have not seen the complaint, but I'm surprised that anyone would have the audacity to claim intellectual domain over a property as well-known as Carmen." (Georges Bizet's legendary opera debuted in 1875, based on Prosper Mérimée's 1845 novella.)
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends