Scam counseling service for transgendered teens exposed
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
Three people awarded a Philadelphia city grant to counsel youths confused about their gender identity were indicted Thursday on charges that their company was a scam and never had a single client. A federal grand jury returned a 19-count indictment against Joseph L. Lewis Jr., Janis P. Moore, and Tyrone Smith, all of Philadelphia, charging them with mail fraud and other offenses. Prosecutors said that between 1998 and 2000, the three were paid at least $130,000 by the city to provide psychological counseling to transgendered adolescents through a company called New Mark Consultants, located in the heart of the city's gay community. During that time the company provided the city with invoices claiming it had worked with a number of teenage clients.
In reality, the indictment said, Lewis deposited funds for the program into his own bank account and used it to pay for personal expenses including lease and repair bills for two BMW automobiles, rent on his apartment, $10,000 in payments to family members, and stable and feed charges for his horse, Cody. The indictment said an investigation revealed that Moore, who told city officials that she had been a grant writer and an educator for the Federal Bureau of Prisons between 1990 and 1994, had actually been an inmate in the federal prison system during that time. The discrepancies were uncovered by the city's inspector general in 2000, officials said.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 36 min 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 15 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 21 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 45 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 53 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 41 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 43 min ago