BY Advocate.com Editors
May 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
Study: Many Americans think HIV vaccine already exists
A new study by the federal National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows that many Americans think a preventive vaccine for HIV already exists and is being kept secret. NIAID surveys showed that 48% of African-American and 28% of Latino respondents believe that such a vaccine has been developed and is being kept from the public. Overall, about 20% of the 3,500 adults surveyed reported believing that a secret vaccine exists. Other widely reported misconceptions include a fear that HIV vaccines can cause HIV infection in clinical trial volunteers.
To help debunk such beliefs, NIAID is sponsoring the sixth annual HIV Vaccine Awareness Day on May 18. The goal of the event is to provide accurate information about HIV/AIDS and HIV vaccine research to the public. "HIV vaccine research is our best hope, along with other prevention and treatment efforts, to slow the spread of HIV," said NIAID director Anthony Fauci. "NIAID is committed to educating the public to help correct misconceptions and advance public understanding of ongoing and future HIV vaccine research."
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 58 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM