Maj. Gen. Clark's nomination stalled again
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 19 2003 11:00 PM ET
The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee has again stalled the promotion of Army major general Robert T. Clark, who was the commander at Fort Campbell, Ky., in 1999, when Pfc. Barry Winchell was murdered in an antigay attack, The New York Times reports. Clark's nomination for lieutenant general had expired last year when Congress failed to act on it. Then in March, President Bush renominated him. The Senate committee had been expected to vote on Clark's promotion as early as next week.
The latest delay came after Winchell's parents met with Sen. John Warner, the Virginia Republican who chairs the Armed Services Committee. Winchell's family and others who oppose Clark's promotion say that Barry Winchell's murder was an antigay hate crime and that Clark failed to appropriately deal with the climate of homophobia that existed at Fort Campbell. The Winchells also met with Clark last week. "He doesn't have the command authority or responsibility," said Winchell's mother, Patricia Kutteles. "The promotion would be another obstacle in the way of everything we have tried to do to honor our son."
Clark issued a statement Friday saying it would be "inappropriate to make any comment during the confirmation process."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 47 min 3 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 1 hour 33 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 2 hours 30 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 3:57 PM
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 3:50 PM