Log Cabin issues report decrying "don't ask, don't tell"
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
A 10-year evaluation of the military's antigay "don't ask, don't tell" policy has been released by the Liberty Education Forum, a sister organization to the Log Cabin Republicans. "As the only gay and lesbian organizations that strongly supported President Bush, our troops, and the war to liberate Iraq, the Liberty Education Forum and the Log Cabin Republicans are in a unique position to contribute in the effort to overturn the ban on gays and lesbians serving in our military," said Log Cabin president Patrick Guerriero. "This is a military-readiness issue and a fairness issue as well."
The "white paper" study, authored by Aaron Belkin, assistant professor of political science at the University of California, Santa Barbara, examined whether the military ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the armed forces enhances military effectiveness. "Our study shows that the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy imposes five different types of costs on the armed forces, including talent loss, financial costs, undermining the military's reputation, undermining the work environment and unit cohesion, and increased violence against women," Belkin said.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM