Poll: New Hampshire residents support gay marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 24 2003 12:00 AM ET
Fifty-four percent of New Hampshire residents favor a law that would allow the state to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, according to a University of New Hampshire poll released Friday. The poll, conducted by UNH's Survey Center, found that 42% of the 509 adults it polled opposed the idea. Younger residents were much more likely than older ones to support such legislation. Among adults age 17 to 29, 70% support same-sex marriage, while 64% of adults over 70 are opposed. Among the sexes, 65% of women support same-sex marriage, compared with 30% who oppose it. Forty-three percent of the men polled supported same-sex marriages, with 54% opposing it. Protestants and Catholics were both evenly divided, with half supporting same-sex marriage, and half opposing.
"This is fantastic news!" said Lisa Beelle, cochairwoman of the New Hampshire Freedom to Marry Coalition. "Understanding where New Hampshire citizens stand on the issues is an important part of making civil marriage for same-sex couples a reality in this great state," she said. "New Hampshire has traditionally valued individual freedoms, and this poll is further proof of that."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM