Gay rights fund set up in Santorum's name
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
A fund set up in U.S. senator Rick Santorum's name by Broadway entertainer Seth Rudetsky gives the Pennsylvania lawmaker major donor status at the Empire State Pride Agenda in New York. On May 23 ESPA, a New York City-based gay civil rights advocacy group, released a copy of a letter it sent to Santorum--whose recent comments comparing homosexuality to bigamy, polygamy, adultery, and incest inflamed gays and lesbians--informing him of his contribution. The donations were made possible by Rudetsky, who recently set up the Senator Rick Santorum Education Fund, through which 5% of all ticket sales from his off-Broadway comedy, Rhapsody in Seth, are being donated every week to ESPA in Santorum's name. Rudetsky made the decision to set up the fund after Santorum made his antigay comments.
"We do not discriminate based upon sexual orientation,"said ESPA executive director Alan Van Capelle. "We welcome Senator Santorum to the Pride Agenda and are ready to work with him so that he can better understand what it means to grow up as a second-class citizen in this country."
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM