Presbyterians elect pro-gay pastor to top spot
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
Presbyterians have chosen as one of their top officers a female pastor who believes in ordaining gays and lesbians and appointing them as church officers. But the Reverend Susan R. Andrews said she will not push the issue at the 215th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA), which runs through May 31. "She flat out declared she was for it this evening, but she doesn't believe the church is ready for that and won't push for it this year," said church spokesman Jerry Van Marter. "She believes it would be counterproductive." Andrews, who is pastor of Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church in Bethesda, Md., was politically and theologically the most liberal of the three candidates for the post, Van Marter said. She was elected Saturday by a majority after a second ballot.
Some Presbyterians want to repeal the 1997 provision in the church's constitution that prohibits noncelibate gays from being ordained as clergy, elders, deacons, and offices held by laypeople.
Some church members oppose ordination of gays on scriptural grounds, but others believe it's unchristian to exclude people based on their sexual orientation and think division over the issue is just part of the church's evolution. A fresh round of debate on the subject is expected at this year's annual
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson'
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 46 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 53 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 2 hours 7 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 2 hours 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 17 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM