Canadian politicians support gay marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 28 2003 11:00 PM ET
As several recent court decisions in Canada are pushing the government to allow gays and lesbians the full legal right to marriage, a number of influential politicians and lawmakers are expressing support for the issue. According to a report by Agence France-Presse, Canada's next prime minister and the leaders of three of the four parliamentary opposition parties agreed Tuesday that same-sex couples should have the same right to marriage as heterosexual couples.
There are three contenders vying to take over for Prime Minister Jean Chretien as leader of the governing Liberal Party, and subsequently as prime minister, at the party convention in November: heritage minister Sheila Copps, finance minister John Manley, and former finance minister Paul Martin. Martin, considered the front-runner to win the Liberal leadership and succeed Chretien, said in a letter that the time has come for Parliament to act to legalize same-sex marriage. But while confirming that he supports same-sex civil marriages, Martin added that "no church, synagogue, mosque, or religious institution can be forced to act outside its faith."
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 47 min 13 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 47 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM