Texas student alleges antigay assault
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 29 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Houston school district and Houston police are investigating a report in which a Westbury High School student said a teacher's aide assaulted him and broke his arm because he is gay, the Houston Chronicle reports. The aide has been ordered to stay off campus while the report is being investigated, school officials said. The district declined to release the names of the student or the teacher's aide. The district said the student is a 19-year-old 11th-grader in a special education class called Behavioral Adjustment. The aide is an assistant coach in several sports, including football.
The student has accused the aide of verbally harassing him throughout the school year about his sexual orientation, but he said an incident last week was the first time a confrontation became physical. According to police reports, the aide pulled the student from his desk and threw him to the floor in a classroom.
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM