Texas student alleges antigay assault
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 28 2003 11:00 PM ET
The Houston school district and Houston police are investigating a report in which a Westbury High School student said a teacher's aide assaulted him and broke his arm because he is gay, the Houston Chronicle reports. The aide has been ordered to stay off campus while the report is being investigated, school officials said. The district declined to release the names of the student or the teacher's aide. The district said the student is a 19-year-old 11th-grader in a special education class called Behavioral Adjustment. The aide is an assistant coach in several sports, including football.
The student has accused the aide of verbally harassing him throughout the school year about his sexual orientation, but he said an incident last week was the first time a confrontation became physical. According to police reports, the aide pulled the student from his desk and threw him to the floor in a classroom.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Is Winnie the Pooh Transgender or Intersex?
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died