Golfer attacks teens in alleged antigay assault
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 30 2003 11:00 PM ET
In an apparent antigay attack on two teenagers who say they are not gay, a golfer assaulted a teenage boy who was videotaping a friend inline skating near the Riverbend golf course in Kent, Wash., clad only in a gold-color thong. Police hope to restore the damaged videotape, which may reveal what happened during the alleged assault, the King County Journal reports. The golfer smashed the video camera with a nine-iron, damaging the cassette, the boys said. Police are continuing their investigation before deciding if criminal citations should be issued, a police spokesman said.
The teens, seniors at Highline High School, were making a video for a class project about steroids. It was to include a spoof showing A.J. Roulston skating nearly naked, wearing only the thong. "It was all just a big prank," Roulston said. His classmate, Chris Machowski, was skating alongside him with his video camera. He suffered bruises and other minor injuries in the encounter. Machowski told police that the golfer, while yelling homophobic remarks, shoved him to the ground, grabbed his throat, and hit his foot with a golf club. After Machowski dropped his video camera, the golfer hit it with the nine-iron, say both teens. The golfer also allegedly said that because the teens were gay, they would spend their lives serving burgers and fries at McDonald's. Both teens say they probably provoked the man by laughing and by asking him if he was homophobic and "had a problem" with gay people.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM