New bill would extend DP benefits to federal employees
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2003 11:00 PM ET
Legislation that would extend job-related benefits to the same-sex partners of federal employees was introduced Wednesday by Sen. Mark Dayton (D-Minn.) and Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.). The Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2003 would treat same-sex and opposite-sex spouses of federal workers equally. "This legislation enables the federal government to aggressively compete with the private sector for highly skilled workers," said Dave Noble, executive director for the gay political group National Stonewall Democrats. "When 40% of Fortune 500 Companies offer competitive benefits, Democrats understand that equality often makes great business sense."
Under the legislation, any spousal benefit provided to marital partners of federal workers would be provided to domestic partners. The legislation is being introduced jointly today in both chambers of Congress. Frank and Dayton introduced identical legislation last year during the 107th Congress. The Senate version of the bill was cosponsored by six Democrats, while the House version was cosponsored by 89 Democrats and one Republican.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM