Archbishop of Canterbury withdraws from gay conference
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 13 2003 12:00 AM ET
As the issue of homosexuality threatens to tear the Anglican Church apart, the archbishop of Canterbury has decided to cancel an appearance at a gay Anglican conference. According to The [London] Daily Telegraph, Archbishop Rowan Williams earlier this year had indicated his willingness to participate in the Halfway to Lambeth Conference, an international event organized by the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement. But according to reports released Wednesday, Williams withdrew from the conference a few weeks ago.
The conference will feature American Canon Gene Robinson, the first openly gay bishop-elect in the Episcopal Church, and the Reverend Michael Ingham, a liberal bishop from New Westminster in Canada who authorized the Anglican Church's first blessing of a same-sex union. In a carefully worded message of support for the conference, which is taking place at Manchester University in England in October, Williams said he "very much hopes" it will help to promote "honest and constructive" debate.
Adding to the controversy surrounding the 77 million-member worldwide Anglican Church, one of its most senior bishops has joined in the criticism of the appointment of Jeffrey John, a prominent gay rights advocate, as the Church of England's first openly gay bishop. "It is a convenient fiction that it is only evangelicals that are concerned, but it is certainly not the case," the Reverend Michael Scott-Joynt told the Church of England Newspaper.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM