Archbishop of Canterbury withdraws from gay conference
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 12 2003 11:00 PM ET
As the issue of homosexuality threatens to tear the Anglican Church apart, the archbishop of Canterbury has decided to cancel an appearance at a gay Anglican conference. According to The [London] Daily Telegraph, Archbishop Rowan Williams earlier this year had indicated his willingness to participate in the Halfway to Lambeth Conference, an international event organized by the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement. But according to reports released Wednesday, Williams withdrew from the conference a few weeks ago.
The conference will feature American Canon Gene Robinson, the first openly gay bishop-elect in the Episcopal Church, and the Reverend Michael Ingham, a liberal bishop from New Westminster in Canada who authorized the Anglican Church's first blessing of a same-sex union. In a carefully worded message of support for the conference, which is taking place at Manchester University in England in October, Williams said he "very much hopes" it will help to promote "honest and constructive" debate.
Adding to the controversy surrounding the 77 million-member worldwide Anglican Church, one of its most senior bishops has joined in the criticism of the appointment of Jeffrey John, a prominent gay rights advocate, as the Church of England's first openly gay bishop. "It is a convenient fiction that it is only evangelicals that are concerned, but it is certainly not the case," the Reverend Michael Scott-Joynt told the Church of England Newspaper.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM