BY Advocate.com Editors
June 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
Worcester city council to investigate defunding of HIV program
A decision by Massachusetts commissioner of public health Christine Ferguson to defund Worcester, Mass.'s only HIV testing and counseling program has prompted Worcester city council members to call for a face-to-face meeting with Ferguson to discuss the funding issue, the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reports. Worcester mayor Timothy Murray charged Ferguson and other state health officials with "incompetence" after city officials were informed that the HIV program would not receive $124,000 in state funds needed to keep it operating.
The funds were pulled because state health officials said the testing and counseling program had "extensively documented program deficiencies" and due to a poorly prepared grant application. But Worcester city officials have asked for documentation to back up those statements, and state health officials have so far refused to provide any information. Worcester public-health director Francis Birch, who previously met with state officials for more than two hours to discuss the funding issue, said he has been provided with no information about the alleged program deficiencies and was shown a 2002 review form that showed that the program substantially fulfilled most, though not all, of its contractual goals and conditions. A 2001 performance review said the program met all its goals.
"We need to find a way to get that money so we can resume that [HIV/AIDS] program," said Worcester city manager Thomas Hoover. "They have expressed a willingness to work with us to see if there is a solution to this funding problem."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 18 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 22 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM